Wednesday, November 24, 2010

So much to be thankful for

I have been contemplating making a Thanksgiving Day post all day, and have come to the conclusion, that this is actually a perfect way for me, to tell each of you, how much you mean to me (well, unless you're a stranger, than you might not mean that much to me, maybe some day if we meet you will find yourself among my thank you list...but not right now, ok, this is awkward, I'm going to stop before I dig myself into a deeper hole).

It is times like this when I feel so very far away from home.  It is times like this where I yearn to be safe in my mama's arms, and in the comfort of the home that I grew up in.  To wake up early and sit in my living room with the fire going.  To tell stories of where I've been and the places I want to go.  To recognize the missing place of my grandfather at the head of the table.  To honor together, with my family, how he is missed, but how we are thankful to be together.  I will miss my dad's welcome speech and the way he tears up when he speaks, the way he invites us all to take a moment to go around the table and reflect on what we are thankful for.  I will miss getting to spend quality time with my brothers, and my hilariously sassy grandmother.  I will miss family friends coming over late for dessert, the margaritas and the other mystery substances.  This is the first time in my 23 years of living, that I have not been home on Thanksgiving, and while I am aware that on the large scale of challenges that I (we) go through in this lifetime, I will get through this, and this is not so terrible.  But, I want to honor this missing part of what this holiday means to me.  A holiday where families across the country come together and break bread and share in this tradition.  And it is times like this, when I realize that I am so fortunate to have a place called "home" to miss, and it is a day like Thanksgiving, when I do not take for granted the incredibly loving family and friends that I have.  I am blessed to have this "heartache" and equally blessed to be able to create community and family, just where I am.  Like I have written before, home is where the heart is, and wherever we go, there we are.  So I am here.  In Italy.  And have much to be thankful for.  And so...here it goes.

I am thankful for my family,
who love me unconditionally
and who I love with every ounce of my being.
For my grandparents,
and my papa who I so miss.
For the house that I grew up in,
for the comfort of a comfortable bed,
and having a place to sleep.
For vacations
and chocolate.
I am thankful for my girls,
my posse from high school.
The incredible place where I grew up.
For Piven,
where I discovered the theatre artist within me.
 For my incredible teachers at BU,
and my second family there, my friends,
who will always, always remain so close to my heart.
To my people in Chicago.
I love you.
No, no..I LOVE YOU!
Thank you, thank you, thank you for this last year.
For entering my life and bringing me so much joy.
For making my nose bleed on a slip and slide trampoline,
for sweaty dance parties,
and cocktails at The Whistler.
For laughing and crying and watching SVU.
And creating beautiful theatre with me,
and for letting me witness your work and growth.
To my collaborative sister (you know who you is).
Thank you.
Friends and family,
For giving me the courage to take this journey to Italy,
for supporting me in making the decision to jump into the unknown,
and take this big and scary leap.
I am thankful for this opportunity. 
For the people I have met so far,
who have already
shifted something in me.
I am thankful for this fresh air and my beautiful surroundings.
For the music in the language
For cabaret's and wine.
For the kick-ass students.
But most of all, today I am thankful for all of the love in my life,
what a blessing it is to be touched by each of you who are in it.








 

No comments:

Post a Comment